In this article I will be giving you two Awesome projects for your upcoming science fair project ideas.
How to make small generator from DC Motor
What can you learn from first project (Small generator using DC Motor)
- Working and principle of Electricity Generator
- Hands on experience in building your own mini electricity generator
- Principles of DC Motor
Materials to make this project
- Toy DC Motors x 2
- LED bulb for indicating
- Wood or cardboard for frame building
- Lithium ion battery
- Few pieces of wires
- Hot glue
Steps for making Mini Electricity Generator
- Stick a small piece of cardboard to elevate motor height
- Both the shafts are connected using recycled rotor alternatively you can use pen refill tubes
- Now you can connect LED to either of any DC Motor
- Excluded motor from LED will be connected to battery or any other suitable electricity source
- When Battery is connected to motor LED light immediately starts glowing
- Our project is ready for use
Concept behind working of this project
Generator is a device which converts one form of energy into other form, here in this case mechanical energy is converted to electrical energyBut here since we are using this project for demonstration purpose instead of rotating dc motor shaft manually I will be using battery power
How DC Motor Works?
DC Motor works on the Faraday’s principle of electromagnetism, which states current carrying conductor experiences mechanical force when placed in a magnetic field , Here in our DC Motor
- Small magnets are placed on inner lining of Motor Body, this will be the magnetic field we are talking about
- When we provide dc motor with battery power it excites copper inside rotor, as a result it becomes electromagnet in turn it experiences electromotive force which can be seen as rotor rotation
- Final output is rotation of shaft
- This can be reversed too
- Here we are using reverse process of DC Motor in working principle of generator
2.How to make windmill using DC Motor
How To Make windmill for science fair projects
If you are looking for Simple and best science fair project ideas this can be for you, as it is very easy to make (less than an hour)
As you can see from the above image this will be the project which we are going to make
How windmill works?
The picture of windmill as shown above works on exact same principle of actual windmills used to power houses, here an alternator will be used which is used to convert One form of energy into another form of energy, in the windmill the energy from wind will be converted to Electric energy this is done with the help of blades.
Blades of suitable design will be attached to the alternator Shaft, when the wind strikes the blade it starts to spin which in turn rotates the shaft of alternator as a result finally this electricity will be generated, also you can refer this process to the rotation of shaft of small toy DC motor like the project above.
Let’s head on to making our wind mill
As we need bigger blades to utilize the energy from blowing air, for the purpose of demonstration instead of powering the blades with wind energy I will be providing electric energy from battery for the the blades to spin which is attached to shaft DC motor
Here in this project u can Consider LED Bulb as the light provided to your house
Material used to build this project
- DVD motor has this is much efficient than toy DC motor
- Few pieces of cardboard or MDF wood
- LED of your own color choice
- Glue for coupling
Steps for Building
- I have used two pieces of MDF wood as per my own choice of size
- I have attached in the form of URL
- Using hot glue I have attached DC motor to one piece of MDF wood please refer images
- Once the DC motor is placed in position attach blades to its shaft, your I am using readymade plastic blade if you don’t have one you can make for your own
Note: You can design and color your own windmill blades
- Once this is ready attach one end of LED to DC motor
- just make a normal electrical so cute so that when battery is in connection LED and DC Motor Works at the same time
- If you are connecting negative side of DC motor to positive leg of led bulb, negative leg of led bulb will go to negative side of battery
- Once all the basic connections are complete our project is ready to use
- if you want this to make in a much more representatives way you can use switch also
- Here I am not using any switch as I am making this project for demonstrative purpose
Explanation for this project
When the air blows it possess some energy and this energy can be converted to electrical energy with the help of windmill, when the air strikes the Blade of windmill, The Blade is designed in such a way that it spins.
Tip: DVD Motor works fine with low RPM
This spinning will be continuous as multiple blades are used and process is continuous, as a result blade spins at very high RPM, also to limit the speed of blades breaks will be used, here the continuous spinning blade causes continuous spinning of alternator shaft.
Alternator as Generator
Inside the alternator electromagnetic coils will be excited in the field of magnetic field as a result electricity generates, this will be transferred to power station later supplied to houses using power grid.
Scope for Wind Energy Harnessing
wind energy is the cleanest form of energy and don’t cause any pollution to the environment and also its renewable source of energy, So it is much preferred the encourage using this form of eco friendly energy sources
I hope you found a best science fair project ideas if you or any of your friends are struggling to find projects for their upcoming Science Fair Projects you can help them by sharing this.
For much more interesting ideas Click here
If you have any comments feel free to ask. Thank you and have a good day!