Smart Dustbin using Arduino is one of coolest project which you can make and use it in your home for regular use , before getting into making of this project lets have a look on few basic things
What is a Smart Dustbin?
- You can call this touch less dustbin or automatic dustbin because there is no need to touch any parts to get the lid open
- Just get object which you want to dump close to dustbin
- It will open lid and after receiving trash it closes automatically
- This is very responsive version which means very less delay
- Just you can throw from any corner of room
- Hence this can be known as smart device which minimizes extra effort to open and close
- Advantage here is hygiene can be maintain since nobody touches it
- Modification options are endless this can be made as smartphone control or remote controlled
- I prefer this version as its more feasible
How does a smart dustbin work?
- This works on very simple mechanism unlike conventional dustbin here motors drive lids
- Micro servo will be serving the purpose of opening and closing of lid
- This servos will be active once obstacle is detected by distance measuring sensor
- These two devices are control by Arduino uno
- For working video you can check video provided at end
What is the use of smart dustbin?
Answer is very simple and similar to why we use dustbin?
Its an equipment used to collect garbage or other waste produced at our homes, Here the word smart adds on using technology to increase the level of comfort
How do you make a smart dustbin at home using arduino
First Gather all these supplies to make your very own smart dustbin
Besides this materials you need Piece of plastic board, breadboard and jumper wires along with battery that can be easily found in any local electrical
Disclosure: These are affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn some credits from qualifying purchases.
Steps for building frame
- Take piece of board i prefer square for measurements you can refer cutting mat measurements in background
- There is nothing like standard measurements for this project just an optimum size will work
- I mark rectangle inside square piece of board as you see in above visual and later i cut following marks
- Through this space garbage will be sent to dustbin / collector
- To make this move like door hinge i used pieces of tube with help of cardboard i was able to make it suitable for open and close
- After this work is complete follow circuit diagram and arduino code
Circuit diagram for Arduino smart dustbin
Here a point to note is that i use connectors instead of breadboard which saves lots of space, i added breadboard since its easy to understand
Smart dustbin Arduino code
- After making circuit and adding codes start by attaching servos to lid
- Servo horns are connected using hot glue
- Make all the components to be firm on board as this will be invert later, use double sided tape to stick things
- Select size of your bin as per waste generation
- Place it as shown in below visual
- Connect battery and let it show its magic
- If you are using organic waste make sure to select plastic container
Click here to watch working video of this project
This is one of the ways on other hand this can be made using Arduino and ir sensor and smart dustbin using iot
If you want a tutorial on that too you can let me know in comments definitely i will make, well if you loved this project take a moment to share this with others.